Friday, April 16, 2010

All Hail the Mighty State

For those of you less versed in state songs, we are talking Texas here. That's right! Home of the Alamo, the Dallas Cowboys, and me, for the first sixteen years of my life! Ever since we got married, Aaron and I have talked about going down to visit all the family I still have down there and last month the stars finally aligned and we made it happen!

What we weren't planning on was Adelyn and I getting sick--definitely not the best way to travel or the best time to be away from home, but we made the best of it. Here is Adelyn sporting her own Texas Longhorns.



Then we found a live one at the Historic Forth Worth Stockyards. Yes, I am much less dressed than they are, but I just needed to soak up the sun, what can I say?!



We went to the Fort Worth Zoo after that and actually caught the Lion roaring back and forth to his little lioness! It was seriously awesome. We tried to catch it on video, but got a nice picture instead.



True to character, Adelyn was not a fan of the birds once they got up close to her. I thought she might feel differently about birds than cats and dogs since she is actually bigger than they are, but I was wrong. Apparently ALL animals should be admired from a distance!



Adelyn had a hard time taking naps in my grandparents' crib, so we would often go on little drives to put her to sleep. Our first day's drive almost put Aaron to sleep too--my old elementary school, middle school, high school, childhood church building, house I was born in, etc. Well the last part was cool because that house is actually a museum now (I know you had no idea I was that important in my previous life!).

Sunday morning though, we drove up to Oklahoma so that Aaron could say that he had been there. We decided while we were there we might as well do something, so we went to Turner Falls, site of many a ward campout in my youth. We learned while there that it stands as Oklahoma's LARGEST waterfall!!! At 77 feet!!! What is Washington's you might wonder. 2584 feet!!



Yes, Texas is not really known for its physical beauty, but for the warmth and friendliness of its people. We definitely experienced that with the tremendous hospitality extended by my grandparents, aunt, uncle, cousins, and friends. Thanks everyone for helping us have such a good time and for welcoming Adelyn and Aaron into the family. Come visit us up here anytime!



This one is just for Kathryn....maybe you can see it at the Super Bowl next year!!

2 comments:

Coleman Family said...

What a great trip! I bet the weather was to die for!

RR said...

I miss Texas too. I am loving all the history with each Anderson trip too. I may need to plan another trip with you guys!